Principal researcher: Eduard Degollada Bastos
Institution: EDMAKTUB (Association for the study and spreading of the aquatic environment)
The goals of this project are:
- Development of scientific campaigns for the study and research of the cetacean populations of the Mediterranean Sea, focusing in the area between the regions of Barcelona, Tarragona and the Balearic Islands.
- Development of methodologies for the study of cetacean populations.
- Identification of special interest areas for cetacean population in Catalan waters, focusing on two endangered species: the common bottlenose dolphin Tursiops truncatus and the striped dolphin Stenella coeruleoalba.
- Study of the migration behaviour to Catalan waters, of the fin whale Balaenoptera physalus, and gathering of knowledge of such an insufficiently studied species like the sperm whale Physeter macrocephalus.
- Development of educational and dissemination activities, aimed to raising the awareness of the visitors of the Zoo of Barcelona, on the existence, characteristics and conservation need of Mediterranean cetaceans, by means of an exhibition area.
- Production of audio-visuals with updated recordings of the marine campaigns carried out by EDMAKTUB about dissemination and education tasks.
- Submission of all the generated scientific knowledge to the corresponding authorities, in order for it to be used in the preparation of strategic conservation plans for the studied cetacean species.