The Vertebrates Workshop
Working as a team to find the answers to riddles, we will put their senses to the test, create life cycles and create naturalist drawings. Students can employ biological materials, magnifying binoculars, representations and interactive panels… an exciting way to explore the classes of vertebrates. The children will also reinforce their learning at the end of the workshop with a tour of the Zoo animals, respectfully observing them and commenting on them so that they can better understand the vertebrate biodiversity of which we are part.
Duration: 2 hours
Start time: 10.00 am, 12.00 pm
To get the most out of The Vertebrates Workshop at the Zoo, we suggest studying the following aspects at school before the visit:
To understand the students’ interests and increase motivation about the animals:
- Look at x-rays and name the principal bones.
- Make a mural in class where you write down and/or draw the things that the students want to know about vertebrates.
- Put a box in the classroom where students can place the questions they may have at any time and later study them.
- Collect books, stories, songs, photos, cards, worksheets or other materials about the animals that the children can obtain.
- Bring in videos, CDs or other materials on electronic supports about these animals.
- Visit the animal files on the website for the Barcelona Zoo.
To observe animals:
- Take a field trip to observe animals, looking for spoor, prints, burrows, excrements, listening to birdsong, as well as collecting feathers and abandoned nests, so that students can deduct the presence of vertebrates in our natural environment.
- Ask students who have a pet and vertebrate to prepare, individually or in groups, an explanation about this animal to present to their classmates with the help of photographs or the animal itself.
As specific objectives:
- Learn about the differences between vertebrates and invertebrates, as well as the representation and distribution of these animals in nature.
- Discover the main classes of vertebrates.
- Learn about the existence of endangered animals on every continent.
- Identify the principal parts of vertebrates' skeletons.
- Knowledge of the existence of aquatic, land and flying vertebrates.
Come to the Zoo
The Vertebrates Workshop at the Zoo teaches students about the main characteristics of vertebrates, with teaching adapted to their age and focusing on participation.
The contents studied are:
- Introduction to the classification of vertebrates, highlighting the fact that they are a very small group of the animal world.
- Comparison between the different outside layers of vertebrates using magnifying binoculars.
- Study of vertebrate reproduction types: oviparity, ovoviviparity and viviparity.
- Discovery of the senses that are most used by each class of vertebrates, using the recorded sounds of different animals, different smells and tastes and touch.
The tour of the grounds is done with the teacher. We suggest making stops, which can be prepared by visiting the animal files and the virtual visitavailable on this web page, at the following facilities:
- The Aviary.
- The hyacinth macaw, the largest psittacidae and that at the greatest risk of extinction.
- The Nicobar pigeon, a columbiform bird in serious danger.
- The kangaroo, an example of a marsupial mammal.
- The gnu, an example of bovidae.
- The deer, an example of an autochthonous cervid.
- The dolphin or sea lion, examples of aquatic mammals.
- The pinguin, an example of an aquatic bird.
- The Terrarium, where students can observe a snake, a turtle and a crocodrile.
- The chimpanzees chimpanzees and drills, examples of seriously endangered primates.
- TheIberian wolf, an autochthonous canine now extinct in Catalonia.
- The otter, an example of an autochthonous mammal that has been successfully reintroduced with the collaboration of the Barcelona Zoo.
- The African canine in serious danger.
What have we learned?
Suggestions about activities to do after The Vertebrates Workshop at the Barcelona Zoo:
Social and natural sciences space:
- Make a list of five species of vertebrates and five invertebrates that are found in neighbourhood or city markets.
- Classify the animals above into their corresponding classes.
- Make a list of five species of vertebrates and five invertebrates that are found in the schoolyard or in a nearby garden or square. Classify the animals above into their corresponding classes.
- Group illustrations of animals by their outside layers.
- Identify the sounds of some animals.
- Identify smells with your eyes closed.
- Prepare a dossier about an endangered species including sections such as their biology, habitat, past and present distribution, the causes of their reduction or extinction and possible protection methods.
Evaluation of learning obtained:
- When looking at photographs, flash cards or videos of animals, students must establish: if they are vertebrates or not, their type of external layer, reproduction type and their most highly developed sensory organs.
The Vertebrates Workshop at the Zoo has been designed for students in year 5 and 6 of primary school in which they learn about the main characteristics of vertebrates in a very participative and entertaining way.
CURRICULUM INTEGRATION OF THE VERTEBRATES WORKSHOP
CROSS-CUTTING CURRICULUM AREAS
Education in favour of the environment.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM DISCIPLINES
Living beings and their relationship to the environment.
With respect to knowledge, facts and ideas:
Study the main characteristics of vertebrates: classification, external layers, reproduction and sensory organs.
With respect to procedures:
Introduction to the study of taxonomy and classification, done in small groups.
With respect to attitudes and values:
- To foster respect for animals through being better informed.
- To awaken students’ awareness about protecting nature.
Small group: 234 € (until 21 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 267 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 30, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
SPECIAL DISCOUNT DURING LOW PERIODS
If you sign up for an educational activity with the Department of Education during the months of September, December, January or February, you will receive a 20% discount off the price. Further, if during these months you do the activity on a Monday or Tuesday, you will receive a 30% discount. (*)
(*) If you sign up for an activity with the Department of Education taking advantage of the promotion and it has to be cancelled due to an incident of force majeure, we will reschedule the activity another day, always with the same original conditions.