Did you know that as soon as a sea tortoise hatches on land it has to run toward the ocean? Whether a smell or a colour is more important? It is undeniable that during the visit students will discover a totally unknown world, the world of feelings, communication, perception, emotions... while approaching the scientific study of animal behaviour. Prior to the observations that we will make during the guided tour, we will present the contents, investigating via a selection of multimedia and biological materials.
Duration: 2 hours
Start time: 10.00 am, 10.30 am, 12.00 am, 12.30 pm, 2.00 pm
To get the most out of the Visit Behaviours at the Zoo, we suggest studying the following aspects at school before the visit:
To understand the students’ interests and increase motivation about the animals:
- Put a box in the classroom where students can place the questions they may have at any time and later study them.
- Collect photographs, magazine articles, cards, worksheets and other materials about animal behaviour that the students can obtain.
- Bring in videos, CDs or other materials on electronic supports about this subject.
To observe animals:
- Ask students who have a pet and vertebrate to prepare, individually or in groups, an explanation about its behaviour during the reproduction period to present to their classmates with the help of photographs or the animal itself.
As specific objectives:
- Present the idea of animal behaviour and identify the most common types of behaviour.
- Innate and learned behaviour.
Come to the Zoo
The Visit Behaviours at the Zoo reveals the different types of behaviours adopted by vertebrates in an entertaining and informative manner adapted to the students' ages.
- Short presentation with slides of different aspects of animal behaviour.
- Observation and handling of different objects coming from animals in our collection.
- Guided tour by a Zoo educator (biologist) of the Zoo to learn more about the following contents:
- Introduction to innate and learned behaviour.
- Chemical, acoustic and visual communication.
- Territoriality and hierarchy.
- Courting and courtship displays.
- Aggressiveness and submission.
What have we learned?
Suggestions for activities to do after the Visit Behaviours at the Barcelona Zoo:
Natural sciences space:
- Make an individual dossier of different animal behaviours with at least one example of each behavioural type.
- Do a group project on some aspect of animal behaviour.
- Compare different behavioural strategies to obtain the same objective, reproduction for example.
- Look for similarities and differences between the behaviour of primates and humans.
- Make a record sheet to observe the behaviour of a species selected by the students.
Evaluation of learning obtained:
- Create an imaginary situation and explain how different species would behave in this case.
- Describe the learned and innate behaviour and give at least two examples of each.
CURRICULUM INTEGRATION OF THE ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR ACTIVITY
CROSS-CUTTING CURRICULUM AREAS
Education in favour of the environment.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM DISCIPLINES
With respect to knowledge, facts and ideas:
Introduce the concepts of animal behaviour, innate behaviour and learned behaviour.
With respect to procedures:
Learn to carefully observe animals’ behaviour and draw conclusions.
With respect to attitudes and values:
- To foster respect for animals through being better informed.
- To awaken students’ awareness about protecting nature.
Small group: 188 € (until 20 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 233 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 31, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
For groups of disabled and residences with economic difficulties the price are 7 € per person and the accompanying free.
SPECIAL DISCOUNT DURING LOW PERIODS
If you sign up for an educational activity with the Department of Education during the months of September, December, January or February, you will receive a 20% discount off the price. Further, if during these months you do the activity on a Monday or Tuesday, you will receive a 30% discount. (*)
(*) If you sign up for an activity with the Department of Education taking advantage of the promotion and it has to be cancelled due to an incident of force majeure, we will reschedule the activity another day, always with the same original conditions.
Do you want to book?
For do the reservation, fill out the form below and we will contact you.