Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop
Activity designed for primary year three and four students.
The students learn about the principal characteristics of these two classes of vertebrates.
The complete collection of amphibians and reptiles at our Zoo includes representative species from the five continents, with special attention placed on endangered species. Studying these animals lets students understand how these two classes adapt to their biotopes, their food types and their life forms.
When the workshop finishes, the group can spend the rest of the day at the Zoo, until closing time.
Duration: 2 hours
Start time: 10.00 am – 12.00 pm : 10:00 - 12:00
Come to the Zoo
The Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo teaches students about the main characteristics of these two classes of vertebrates in an entertaining manner that is adapted to their ages.
- Short presentation during which they are shown slides of the main types of amphibians and reptiles.
- They also have the chance to look at and handle different materials coming from animals in our collection.
- Guided tour around the Zoo to learn more about the following contents:
- Comparison of the characteristics of amphibians and reptiles compared to other animals.
- Introduction to the classification of these two classes.
- Comparison of the different types of movement and types of limbs depending on the medium in which they move.
- Observation of the different strategies to obtain food.
- Hunting techniques of poisonous and non-poisonous reptiles.
- Study of amphibian and reptile reproduction: oviparity. Metamorphosis.
- Identificació i modificacions de la protecció de la pell: defensa i camuflatge.
- Sensory organs most used by these two classes.
- Conservation problem of endangered species of amphibians and reptiles in nature.
- Animal trading problem with regard to endangered species of amphibians and reptiles.
What have we learned?
Suggestions about activities to do after the Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo:
Social and natural sciences space:
- Make murals with the photos of animals collected, grouping them by different criteria: external layer, element in which they live, type of movement, type of food, etc.
- Make the students prepare ‘lectures’, individually or in groups, to present to their classmates.
- Write and/or represent stories about the amphibians and reptiles collected or invented by the students, which contain information learned in the activity.
- Make a book or album about animals that contains everything learned.
- Look for similarities and differences between several amphibians and reptiles.
Evaluation of learning obtained:
- When looking at the photograph of an amphibian or reptile, students must say: what type of animal it is, the element in which it moves, the type of food it eats, how it reproduces and its defence mechanism when in danger.
The Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo has been specially designed for students in year 3 and 4 of primary school.
CURRICULUM INTEGRATION OF THE AMPHIBIANS AND REPTILES ACTIVITY
CROSS-CUTTING CURRICULUM AREAS
Education in favour of the environment.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM DISCIPLINES
The biological cycle of amphibians and reptiles.
With respect to knowledge, facts and ideas:
- Study the reproduction, food and movement of different amphibians and reptiles.
- Observe how they adapt to different habitats and learn about locomotion systems and self-protection systems of these animals.
With respect to procedures:
- Learn to carefully observe the animals and their similarities and differences.
- Embark on the classification and recognition of the different groups of amphibians and reptiles.
With respect to attitudes and values:
- To foster respect for animals through being better informed.
- To awaken students’ awareness about protecting nature.
Small group: 234 € (until 21 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 267 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 30, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
To book activities
Department of Education
Pg. Circumval.lació, 3, 08003 Barcelona
Information and bookings: T. 932 256 787. From Monday to Thursday from 9:00am to 02:00pm and from 02:00pm to 04:30pm. Friday from 09:00am to 01:30pm
Information: T. 902 457 545 from 09:00am to 08:00pm