Nomads of the sea Workshop
Would you like to see for yourself what naturalists and scientists experience during their work? Would you like to follow marine mammals during their migrations or master the methods used to study their movements? Then this is the workshop for you! Learn to identify individual animals, carry out monitoring and locating of animals by using VHF transmitters (radio tracking), make videos and take photographs using transponders (drones).
Duration: 1st day: theory part - two hours in the classroom.
2nd day: practical part - four hours in the Zoo.
Start times: times to be confirmed subject to preferences (afternoons best)
Activity aimed at secondary school students. It can also be adapted to GCSE-level students.
Let's go to the Zoo
(Programme run in collaboration with the University of Barcelona, Department of Animal Biology)
The group/class is accompanied by a member of the Zoo’s education team throughout the workshop.
After the theoretical introduction to the programme in the classroom by the Zoo’s education team, the second day involves a tour of the Zoo where pupils learn about:
- Identifying individual animals using binoculars, tracking and locating animals using VHF transmitters/radio tracking.
- Monitoring through filming and photographing of individual animals using transponders (drones) and much more.
The group can stay in the Zoo until closing time.
- Competency in knowledge and interaction with the physical world.
- Information processing and digital skills.
- Competency in learning to learn.
- Provide the knowledge, tools and practise needed for scientific field research.
- Simulate a population study using real tools.
- Raise understanding about protecting and preserving ecosystems, and about the relationship between different forms of life.
- Theoretical part: Introduction to the study of cetaceans. Classification. Food. Species found on the Catalan coast. Echo-location and sonar. Study methods: types of monitoring; observation and identification of fins.
- Practical part: Tracking using radio-tracking, camera-trapping and drones. Identification of dolphins.
Materials: (Please bring writing materials)
Workbook, radio monitoring receivers, camera-trapping, drone.
Do you want to book?
For do the reservation, fill out the form below and we will contact you.