Visit Endangered Animals
Activity designed for primary year three, four, five and six students.
This workshop teaches students about the main causes –either natural or caused by mankind– that have led to many animals now being in danger of extinction. They can also understand the fragility and complexity of the survival of species and see that in the modern world, many of them now depend on our behaviour.
One of the most important functions of the Barcelona Zoo is the conservation of endangered species. Thus, our collection, comprised of representative species from the five continents, places priority on the breeding of animal species in captivity that are in danger of extinction. They do this in coordination with other zoos around the world.
Duration: : 2 hours
Start time: 10.00 am – 10.30 am – 12.00 pm – 12.30 pm – 2.00 pm
To get the most out of the Visit Endangered Animals activity at the Zoo, we suggest studying the following aspects at school before the visit:
To understand the students’ interests and increase motivation about the animals:
- Look for information (photos, videos, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, books, etc.) about the most endangered autochthonous species and try to explain the reasons why they are in this situation. It could be done in small groups, where each group researches an animal from a different continent or a different type of animal (birds, amphibians, mammals, reptiles and fish).
- Look for information (photos, videos, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, books, etc.) about species that are extinct in Catalonia and that are being bred and raised in the Zoo (for example: brown bear, Iberian wolf, lynx) and try to explain the causes for their disappearance.
- Look for information (photos, videos, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, books, etc.) about extinct species around the world and try to explain the causes for their disappearance.
To observe animals:
Visit the salt marshes in Empordà, the delta of Llobregat or the delta of Ebro and then visit the Barcelona Zoo to watch the same species from closer up.
As specific objectives:
- Introduce the concept of endangered animals.
- Discover the main causes –either natural or caused by mankind– that threaten species in the wild.
- Learn about the existence of endangered animals on every continent.
- Learn about demographic reintroduction and strengthening, with special emphasis on projects with highly endangered species in which the Barcelona Zoo participates: otter, Majorcan midwife toad, Herman’s tortoise, heron, sultana bird, etc.
- Introduce the problems surrounding the illegal trade of endangered species.
- Introduce the problems surrounding invasive species and their effects on biodiversity.
Come to the Zoo
The Visit Endangered Animals at the Zoo teaches students about the main causes that have led to many animals having their survival threatened, with the content adapted to their age.
Short introduction in which different species in danger are shown using slides and other audiovisuals.
Observation and handling of different objects coming from animals in our collection
When leaving the classroom, the students are given a guided tour by a Zoo educator (biologist) around the grounds in order to learn more about the following contents:
Causes of the danger of extinction:
- Destruction of their habitats, using the example of the psittacidae (a type of parrot).
- Capturing for the trading of pets, with examples including tropical birds and reptiles.
- Hunting for human food, with the example of primates.
- Trading in raw materials, as is the case for rhinoceroses and elephants.
- Competition with exotic species introduced.
- Accrued environmental contamination in the food chain, such as for example the birds of prey.
Introduction of possible solutions:
- What we can do from home for endangered species.
- Nature protection systems: natural parks, reserves, legal protection of species, children’s attitudes towards nature, etc.
- The Zoo’s work: birthing in captivity programmes for endangered species, reintroductions, etc.
What have we learned?
Suggestions for activities to do after the Visit Endangered Animals at the Barcelona Zoo:
Social and natural sciences space:
- Make a list of the different causes for extinction of animal species Match at least one endangered animal to each cause.
- Have the students prepare 'lectures' about the endangered animals in Catalonia, in the world or those they saw at the Barcelona Zoo, individually or in groups, and then present them to their classmates.
- Have the students prepare 'lectures' about the most important causes that threaten the survival of many species, individually or in groups, and then present them to their classmates.
- Write stories about the endangered animals collected or invented by the students, which contain information learned during the activity.
- Create a book or album about endangered animals containing the things they learned.
Evaluation of learning obtained:
- When looking at different photographs of animals, students have to say whether or not they are endangered and the causes that have led to them being in this situation.
Endangered Animals is an activity that has been carefully designed for students in year 3, 4, 5 and 6 of primary school.
CURRICULUM INTEGRATION FOR THE ENDANGERED ANIMALS ACTIVITY
CROSS-CUTTING CURRICULUM AREAS
Education in favour of the environment.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM DISCIPLINES
Living beings and their relationship to the environment.
With respect to knowledge, facts and ideas:
Study the main causes that have led many species to becoming endangered.
With respect to procedures:
To learn to carefully observe the animals and distinguish their characteristics.
With respect to attitudes and values:
- Foster respect for animals through better knowledge of them.
- To awaken a conservationist attitude in students with respect to protecting species.
Small group: 188 € (until 20 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 233 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 31, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
For groups of disabled and residences with economic difficulties the price are 7 € per person and the accompanying free.
To book activities
Department of Education
Pg. Circumval.lació, 3, 08003 Barcelona
Information and bookings: T. 932 256 787. From Monday to Thursday from 9:00am to 02:00pm and from 02:00pm to 04:30pm. Friday from 09:00am to 01:30pm
Information: T. 902 457 545 from 09:00am to 08:00pm